The construction of McCrary Park was begun in 1946 by McCrary Mills as a home for the company's highly successful semi-pro team, the McCrary Eagles. The Eagles played their first game in the park in 1948 and it remained their home until the industrial league semi-pro era ended in the late 1950's. The park also became the home of the Asheboro Post 45 American Legion team in the late 50's and later the Asheboro High School Blue Comets began using the facility as their home field as well.
Through the years, McCrary Park has undergone a number of renovations and upgrades, many of the coming after the park became the home of the Asheboro Copperheads in 1999. Over the last several years the facility has seen its most extensive improvement projects with the installation of a state-of-the-art synthetic infield surface, the construction of new dugouts, the expansion of the press box and the construction of a multi-purpose shelter beyond the first base bleacher section in what has become known as the "Snake Pit" seating area.
In recent years, McCrary Park has hosted the National Junior College Region X tournament as well as both the Coastal Plain League Petitt Cup championship tournament and the CPL All-Star Game. In 2010, the venerable venue was the site of the North Carolina State American Legion Tournament. McCrary Park has rightfully earned the reputation as being one of the very best community baseball venues in the entire state.
While McCrary Park continues to be owned by the Acme-McCrary Corporation, it is operated through a long-term lease agreement by the City of Asheboro.